Sunday, October 7, 2012

Personal Thoughts On Nikon D600 & D800

Alright, its finally here, my personal thoughts on the Nikon D600 & D800/

So, probably start with the older model, the Nikon D800.


Initially when the D800 rumors were floating around, I was very excited and happy until the official announcement and release was made, which made me kind of sad seeing that its 36 megapixels as opposed to the Nikon D4 which had 16 megapixels. I didn't really like the roundedness of both the D4 and D800, but the D4 was still quite good looking.

The D800 seemed really small as opposed to the D700 which according to Amazon, which is the replacement for the D700. Looking through the specs, the use of 1 SD card and 1 CF card is pretty cool. But the price of the camera and the resolution are what deters me from getting one. I love the video function and capability of it though. The quality I've seen from the web show great promise though. I don't have much to say really.

The Nikon D600.


When rumors of the D600 were around, I was once again happy that a cheaper FX camera is in the works and seemed to have everything I would want. Unfortunately, that isn't the case when it was released.

Again the camera is too rounded, and now its made smaller. Similar in size and shape to the Nikon D7000 though. Which I had in the office and was able to try a few times since I use my own D3 for shoots. The D7000 is pretty nice to hold and I can only assume the D600 would be too. Unfortunately, it is too small for my own liking. Even with the grip, its holdable, but I find that there's something missing to it.

24 megapixels is quite a lot to me actually. And the video function has some limitations to it which puts me off. The price is reasonable though. But one thing I find still desirable is the overall size.

I find that both cameras cannot truly replace the D700 since the D700, with a battery grip can improve its burst rate. I would also like a D700 size replacement without too much curves. And probably the same sensor as the Nikon D4, 16 megapixels.

Not sure if Nikon actually researches or what, but I'm writing my thoughts here in the event they do. A camera that is the improved version of the D700 without the resolution of either the D600 or D800, with D800's video capabilities and possibly closer to D600 price. That's my dream backup camera to my D3.

I honestly can't see the D600 or D800 as the backup to the D4.

On a side note, was thinking of the future of these cameras, with their resolution. D800's 36 megapixel RAW files is huge. So it would require a lot of hard disk space to store the photos and backup. Think there's a 4TB hard drive now, with motherboards having 14 SATA connectors. 1 DVD drive, so its 4TB times 13 equating to 52TB worth of storage space. Quite a lot though, but I don't want to have a huge external drive to backup all my photos especially over the years as I shoot more and more. Unless they become really really cheap. But 36 megapixels, and D4's XQD cards, gotta wait for technology to catch up, like quad core processing 10-12 megapixel images, probably the gen 2 i7 computers can process 20 plus megapixels, and probably the next generation of computers to process 30 plus images with even bigger storage capacity.

I wonder how things would be like in the next few years, especially since everything is constantly changing and improving. One thing is for sure, I hope that manufacturers will quit the megapixel race. Nice to have D3x type of camera, and probably D700x type? Rather than like the D800. 2 versions would be good. That's all I'm saying. Everyone's thoughts differ. These are mine from a event, photojournlistic type of photographer. Or even wedding, pre wedding, commercial and fashion would probably be happy with the resolution, but there are still limits that need to be set.

No comments: